Recycled aggregates used for granular fill and capping can only be considered ‘high grade’ if they:
- conform to specifications in national best practice guidance (refer to the ASWL).
- OR, where there is no national best practice guidance approved, new guidance can be proposed to BRE for approval:
- Specifications in national best practice guidance must include as a minimum, limits and requirements on the properties listed in Checklist A6.
- Specifications must be specifically for recycled aggregate for use as granular fill or capping.
- National best practice guidance is not required to cover test methodologies.
- OR, alternatively, the UK standard ‘Specification for Highway Works (SHW) Series 600 Earthworks’ and classifications as listed in the relevant definition section of the UK NC 2014 manual can be used.
If none of these apply, the recycled aggregates should be considered ‘low grade’ and excluded from the assessment of the Issue.