To be recognised in BREEAM, the on-site Low and Zero Carbon (LZC) technology must have a direct physical connection to the assessed asset.
Where the LZC technology is;
- Located on the same site,
- Is owned and managed by the same organization as the assessed building, and
- Where it is impractical to physically connect the assessed building to the system,
It is acceptable to allocate the renewable energy generated proportionally as a calculation of the asset’s predicted energy consumption compared to the total energy consumption of the whole site.
To allocate renewable electricity by proportional consumption:
- Obtain the total annual renewable electricity generated on-site.
- Exclude all renewable electricity which has been exported to the grid.
- Determine the respective electricity consumption of all assets on the whole site (predicted for new builds and measured for existing assets).
Where consumption data is missing, renewable electricity must not be allocated to the assessed asset. In this case, it is assumed that all electricity consumed is sourced from the grid.
17-Jan-2024 - Applicability BIU V6 Ene 13 removed, as this approach is not applicable to assessing the area of PV fitted. 21-Dec-2022 - Applicability to In-Use V6 confirmed.