To support learning of the UK New Construction 2018, Mat 01 issue, the below lists a recommended sequence (to optimise learning and understanding) of learning resources consisting of a variety of reading material and video tutorials.
- Why whole building life cycle assessment (LCA)?
Explains why BREEAM has introduced building LCA.
- Getting results with building LCA
Explores ways to reduce impacts using building LCA.
- The BREEAM UK New Construction manual
Note that the mat 01 issue allows for flexibility:
- In the tool used; results are accepted from several different 3rd party building LCA tools.
- In the assessment approach:-
- Comparison with the BREEAM benchmark – to see how the design compares with average buildings of the same type.
- Option appraisal – to encourage designers to explore options to reduce impacts for their specific building (regardless of how it compares with the benchmark).
- In the stages building LCA is done.
- In how many design options are appraised.
- In what parts of the building is included in the assessment scope (superstructure; substructure and hard landscaping; core building services).
- Reward for integrating LCA options appraised with LCC options in Man 02 – to better inform the designers and client on overall sustainability.
- Reward for having the building LCA work done by, or verified by, an independent 3rd
- Credit Score Ready Reckoner
A tool to assist users early in the process to determine what they need to do to achieve different credit award levels. There is a PDF and interactive Excel version.
- The Results Submission Tool
To submit results from the chosen building LCA tool and to work out the credit award.
The following video tutorials provide detailed guidance
- Building LCA benchmarks
Explains how the benchmarks are developed and how they are used in BREEAM.
- The BREEAM Simplified Building LCA tool
A free tool for users instead of the paid-for 3rd party full building LCA tools.
The following video tutorial provides detailed guidance
- The knowledge base
Guidance on how to comply if specific situations arise on a project.
Case study webinars
- Tips & Tricks to master Mat 01 for BREEAM 2018 from One Click LCA
Demonstration on how to achieve LCA credits with One Click LCA (Life Cycle Assessment software) and Buro Happold.
- Life Cycle Design Modelling for BREEAM UK NC 2018 using eToolLCD
Demonstration of the basics of completing life cycle design modelling in eToolLCD LCA software from start to finish.
Note: More webinars and other related content may be added to the BRE Academy website from time to time.