BREEAM Approved Innovations are a one-time recognition of an innovative technology, design or process, for which an innovation credit is awarded to a registered BREEAM assessment.
The following scoping questions help BRE Global to determine whether an innovation application merits further investigation:
1. Is this innovation unique and first of its kind in the world?
- Are there additional benefits this new technology, design or process brings that could be considered innovative?
- Is this innovation is being adapted for significantly different conditions to those in which it is normally applied, that could be considered innovative?
2. Does the innovation provide a measurable social, environmental or economic benefit to the asset being assessed?
3. Does the impact of the innovation go beyond the scope of what is measured by existing BREEAM benchmarks… OR does it it exceed existing top level BREEAM benchmarks by a significant margin?
4. Will the lessons learned from this innovation be shared with the wider industry?
5. Is it practical to replicate this innovation on other projects?
If the answer to questions 1-5 is ‘Yes,’ please submit an application for further review.
If the answer to question 1 is ‘No’, but ‘Yes’ to either of its sub-questions, and all other answers are ‘Yes’, please also submit an application for review.
If the answer is ‘No’ to any other question, it is unlikely that an innovation application will be considered for peer review or approval.